Employment FAQ

What areas of employment does Adventure Medics offer?  

Events - EMT and higher 

Wildland – ambulance EMTs and Paramedics, line EMTs and Paramedics, Camp clinic RNs and PAs, REMS team, RAT teams and ATV/UTV teams  

Interfacility Transport (based in Southwest WA) - EMT, Paramedic, Critical Care Paramedics, Critical Care Nurses, Drivers

I don’t live in Bend, OR or Southwest, WA can I still work for you? 

Typically, our events and interfacility transport staff live in either Oregon or Washington. Wildland Fire team members can live all over the country

REMS teams are the exception for wildland employees. All full time REMS members are required to live in Bend. Company housing is provided to employees for free during the fire season. 

What training/certifications do I need? 

Events: staff need to have a Paramedic or EMT state license in Oregon and/or Washington. We do also hire PAs, Nurses, Doctors. You will need to keep your license current and remain in good standing with the certifying body. In addition, you will need a BLS or ACLS card depending on your license level.

Wildland Fire: you will need a NREMT and/or state license. It is best to have both.

FFT2 training (“Red Card”) is provided by the company during the pre-season orientation, but you are expected to have already obtained certifications in ICS 100, ICS 200, IS 700, S-130, S-190, L-180 courses.

For all divisions you will be required to pass a fitness test to ensure you can meet the physical requirements of the job

For members of the REMS and RAT teams: Adventure Medics will pay for your Rope Rescue Technician and Vehicle Extrication Technician courses. REMS team members are expected to be highly experience in at least ONE of the following disciplines: technical rescue, wildland fire, and emergency medicine. Priority will be given to candidates with experience in multiple categories, but we place a large emphasis on the right personalities and will provide extensive in house training for the right candidate.  

What are your physical test requirements? 


2 mile run with variable elevation in under 20 min 

30Ib (each hand) Farmers carry for approximately 1/3 mile 

Hand over hand weighted rope haul (x2)

2 min of chest compression only on a manikin   

All exercises need to be completed in under 35 min 

Wildland Fire:

· “Arduous” pack test (3 mile walk with a 45lb pack in 45 minutes or less)

· 80Ib Farmers carry for approximately 1/3 mile

· Hand over hand weighted rope haul (x2)

· 2 mins of chest compressions on a manikin

Additional pt testing is required for REMS/RAT candidates.

What are the availability requirements for each division?  

Events: for our core team - staff are usually working 20-40hrs per week on an agreed upon schedule with management. There are also monthly mandatory trainings. We do have an ECL (call list) list for folks who can't commit to regular work

Fire: fire is unpredictable, and no work is guaranteed. Busier seasons can have employees working 90+ days on fire. You are expected to be available for a minimum of two 14-day rotations, travel excluded.  

REMS team members are expected to report to Bend for pre-season training mid-May. They will then live in Bend for the duration of fire season and are expected to work a 40hr week while not on deployments. REMS teams are expected to be able to deploy within 3hrs of dispatch at any point during the fire season. RAT team members/REMS alternates will attend the month of pre-season training in Bend. Afterwards, they can return to their home and await deployments throughout the rest of season. 

What does your compensation look like? 

Event staff (seasonal part-time):

EMT $23/hr DOE 

Paramedic $25 - $27/hr. DOE 

Fire Pay (Seasonal temporary position):

EMT $450-550/day DOE 

Paramedic $600-700/day DOE 

Nurses/Physician Assistant: DOE

REMS: $600/day + $100/fire day end of season bonus

Transport Division (full-time, part-time, and per diem)  

EMT $15-18 DOE 

Paramedic $18-22 DOE 

Critical Care Paramedic $22-25 DOE 

Critical Care RN $30-35 DOE 

Uniform, Travel and Training paid for. Additional Benefits available for full time staff include; Health/Dental/Vision insurance, 401(k) plan

Do you accept volunteers? 

Unfortunately, no. Due to employment laws we are unable to utilize volunteers.

I want to get into this field, can you recommend some courses to take or skills to learn?  

We use a wide variety of skills throughout all our divisions. Having a solid background in patient care should be a priority. Working or volunteering in some EMS capacity will be beneficial. Additionally, for our wildland and events crew knowing how to use radios, satellite communication, ATV/UTVs, map reading and navigating skills are a huge plus. Desirable REMS team skills include vehicle extrication, rope rescue certs, extensive EMS experience and experience on wildland fire. On events we have opportunities for those who have their motorcycle licenses.